The Library of Objects
The Object Library Panel
The object library can be found in the Library panel. To open the panel when it is hidden, click the Library button in the toolbar.
Objects in the library are grouped in categories by types. To select a category, use the drop-down menu at the top of the panel. The Favorites category can be used to gather objects you are currently working with.
To search for objects, click on the magnifying glass icon and type in what you are looking for.
Object's Context Menu
To open the context menu, select an object and right-click on it. A second way is to select an object and click on a gear icon at the top of the panel. The second method gives you access to extra commands related to managing categories. This will be explained later.
The context menu includes these commands:
- Substitute with Selection in Project – replace an object selected in the library with an object selected in the project.
- Substitute Selection in Project – replace an object selected in the project with an object selected in the library.
- Object Details – display details of an object selected in the library. This dialog is described in the Object Information in the Library section.
- Add to Favorites – add a copy of an object to the Favorites category.
- Cut – remove a selected object and place its copy to the Clipboard.
- Copy – copy a selected object to the Clipboard.
- Paste – paste an object from the Clipboard into the open category.
- Delete – delete a selected object.
- Undo and Redo – cancel or redo the last operation you performed in the object library.
Customizing the Object Library
You can use the New Category…, New Nested Category… and Remove Current Category commands from the drop-down menu to add and remove object categories. The standard categories cannot be removed.
The commands from the object's context menu let you work with individual objects. Using the Cut, Copy and Paste commands, you can duplicate objects or move them from one category to another. The Delete command can remove user's objects. Any standard object cannot be deleted or moved to another category.
Adding New Objects to the Library
Objects imported into your project can be stored in the library. To add an object from your project to the library:
- Open a category in the library where you would like the object to be stored. It is recommended that you add new objects to a custom category.
- Right-click on an object in your project and choose Add to Library from the context menu.
You can use the Object Details dialog to customize the object name.
Updating an Object in the Library
After editing an object in your project, or after applying new materials to it, you may want to replace the old object in the library with its new version. In fact, you can replace an object with absolutely different one. The standard objects cannot be updated in this way.
To replace an object in the library with an object in the project, select the object in your project. Then right-click on the object in the library and choose Substitute with Selection in Project from the context menu.